As you may know if you have either looked at the books stacked next to my bed, or sat beside me on the bike machine at the gym, I have been reading a lot of
B. McLaren recently. The book I am currently reading is, "The Last Word and the Word After That." It is by and large about Hell, and I wouldn't mind discussing Hell some time over breakfast. But that's not what I want to chat about here.
I was in my Jeep on my way to an evening of geeking out and a car pulled off the road into the bank parking lot near my apartment. The back or this car was covered with bumper stickers. There are two types of bumper stickers that catch my attention. Ones about Bush, and ones about God. No need deconstructing that last sentence. This one was a prayer of some kind. It said,
"God bless America, and send our enemies to Hell."
Given the traditional view of Hell, these are pretty strong words. This person is saying, "God bless us, and torture them forever."
I spent most of the rest of the trip to Oakland thinking about God, justice, Hell, and eternal conscious torture.
There's a lot there to resolve.
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment